Assignment Week Six: The Hobbit and From Under the Mountain (11 points)

 

    The books I read for this week were From Under the Mountain and The Hobbit. The first one was my first time reading, which I decided to read that one since I have seen the movie for the Hobbit. I wanted more worlds to think about and enjoy. In The Hobbit I definitely knew what was going to happen, but that’s how I can just relax and fall into the world easier. Let all the words soak in like in on paper, letting my senses change and images of the world become more alive.

I sat there reading the book over and over again at one point. I couldn’t get enough of it. I even have two tattoos for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, one is on my left thigh as the beginning quote from The Hobbit. The second one is not a quote from those two, it’s from Harry Potter however it’s in elfish and it’s on my other thigh. Therefore, it was nice to finally read series I was so in love with for so long.

The Hobbit as a lot of different things, humor, action, suspense, etc. However, it also has women empowerment among those as well. Galadriel is a character among The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit that is a ring barrier of the ancient rings of power. She ruled over Lothlórien with her husband, Celeborn, Tolkien describes Galadriel as "the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth” and the "greatest of elven women". By putting Galadriel as such a figure of importance makes for brilliant women empowerment and shows how strong women are projected in these series through the elven maidens and many others. With Galadriel having powers from both the ring and her elven powers gives her a dominating aura. Every person she encounters knows they cannot fight her on her word nor hide them for that matter.

In From Under the Mountain there are twins a boy and girl in this case. However, the girl Rachel is shown to be a bit more powerful than the brother Theo. She is sought after the Wilberforce’s the most, but with the help of her brother they are able to defeat them. She detected them first and smelled the rotting before her brother did. She shows female empowerment due to the fact that she goes from defenseless and confused to strong and determined to save the world. This book was very interesting due to the fact that it felt like both a sci-fi and a fantasy book, not just fantasy. I also loved the idea of the stone, almost working like the rings of power.

The movies I watched were The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Legend, The Dark Crystal, Willow. Willow was something new for me to watch, my mother even recommended it. It was very good and reminded me a lot of The Dark Crystal. Going off of that, The Dark Crystal was something I grew up with and a movie I watched before The Lord of the Rings growing up. The puppeteering work of the creators is absolutely gorgeous. Legend and The Hobbit I saw in middle school and high school. The Lord of the Rings I watched a lot of (all the movies) throughout elementary school to now. All of these movies gave me a sense of love for fantasy I wouldn’t have gained without them. I re-watched all of the them this past weekend for nostalgia, for the new movie Willow and a new perspective of them. The movies were all very close to the books with how they represented everything. Of course extensive details were left out but that didn’t change the wonderful stories they told.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment Week 12: BloodChild by Octavia E. Butler and The Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon (8 points + 5 points)

Assignment Week Elven: Soulless by Gail Carriger and The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (10 points, 5 each)

Assignment Week One: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (4points)