Assignment Week 14: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Arthur Douglas


Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Arthur Dent are the series I chose to read for this week. The reason I chose this series was due to the fact it gives a look from the ordinary man in sci-fi rather than something like Star Wars were the main character is the hero. Another use for the satire of the series is at the beginning of the book when Douglas talks about the blue green planet and ape descended life forms. While doing this he is making fun of humans and the earth being lower than what they actually view themselves as. Using his views and ideas in the perspective of sci-fi.

            The main thing that really caught my attention in read this series was the tone. The tone is pretty much dry and dark humor. I really loved Monty Python growing up so this humor is something I really enjoy it’s not obnoxious and it’s just straight to the point and in your face. I love that about this series it really keeps your attention in the series, more so if you have similar humor. Making sad and serious topics funny to some can be very harsh or non-empathetic, however it’s a more of a cooping mechanism and a sense of dark humor that some people do have.

            Another thing that really caught my eye are the writing style. Douglas seems to really love anti-climaxes and doing twists before and after the climax. Confusing the reader but making them continue to read and know more about what is going on. This gives a different writing vibe instead of the basic writing beginning middle climax and end to the normal sci-fi. Non the less whether you don’t get the humor or you do, it’s a great read and super interesting on the perspective of the future. While reader this I felt more of a guardians of the galaxy vibe more than anything. Which makes sense due to the fact the comic story was based off of the book. Thus I am really happy that I finally could read this series, I don’t think I would be able to without the class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment Week Ten: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (5 points)

Assignment Week One: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (4points)

Assignment Week 15: Sketch Story's (6 points)