Assignment Week 15: Sketch Story's (6 points)

 

Sketch One:

It is ten years from now, the holiday season of 2030.  You are thinking about a present you might be getting for the holidays.  What is it?  Talk about how you did your holiday shopping,  What is your job and how are you doing it?  What is your living situation and what are the major issues of the day?  Please make these questions relevant to any appropriate holidays you celebrate.  

 

This is the year 2030 soon to be 2031. I must get some gifts for my family, though most of them I shouldn’t even call that anymore. Looking in the window of a grand modern building; I gazed upon the present I have so wished for this year, a new phone. Yes, I know a phone, however this one was the newest ones they came out with. I have had my own since college 2020. That was 10 years ago? The years can go by like trickling water if one does not pay attention to their lives. Have I not paid attention? I am a costume designer and model in London, I should believe that I am right? Looking around in the shopping district of London, the bright lights of the all the screens and technology gazed at me. Has it always been like this? Never mind, I have to finish my shopping at get back home. My feet are killing me, lie I have been walking on nails. When I finally get home I scan my card and take my shoes off before walking in. The cold empty modern apartment made me feel at ease. Yes, I am alone and No, I am not lonely. Sighing I drop the bags and poor myself some wine before sitting on the couch. My phone buzzed and I checked, seeing it was my mom. They were pictures of the new tree that is the robotic and as she puts it so cool looking. I lay my phone on my stomach. No tree anywhere, but some white lights here and there. I never liked Christmas, nor the holiday season. In fact, it has been my least favorite holiday for over 10 years. Not really sure why, maybe it’s the crowds, maybe it’s making food for everyone because you have to, or maybe it’s the over commercialized fake joy. One thing that makes my year, makes me forget the modernizing and technology encasing world, the snow. The little flakes that stick to your window and frost always make me feel like I’m not so alone.



Sketch Two:  Write at least 200 words.

It is 50 years from now, the holiday season of 2070, it's looking like it might be probably that you will live to see the next century.  What are the dominant technologies of 2070 and how have they changed the way people behave and relate?  How do you fit in to this technology environment?

 

            2070, the holiday seasons the years of prolonged life and technology. I always wondered what will happen when I get older, how will I look and feel? However, my looks are detached from my age. In the past 50 years prolonged life have been created to people who can afford it. People who cannot, however, live out their lives. Robots, self driving cars (to the public), hologram screens for everything including phones are everywhere you can turn. Everything is wrapped in technology based bacon with everything including jobs relied on it. Becoming a teacher and as well as a known costume designer (from the previous years) I can see how the technology have affected the students as well as my own life. Screens illuminated their faces as I talked about the history of fabrics and cultures in costumes. After class I went about my day taking my car (self-driving) back home. Gazing out the window towards the city covered in technology, I could barely remember what it used to look like. Each hologram and screen promoting a different thing like beauty, food, fashion, and new technologies coming out. Looking away and going to my phone, I put my camera on. Seeing my non aged skin and 30 year old beauty, I sigh, content with my looks but it’s still just a mask to hide my true self.

Sketch Three:  Write at least 200 words.

It is 200 years from now, the year 2220. Nobody alive today is still alive, at least in the way we think of being "alive" now.  What are the main aspects of the technology environment?  How do humans fit into this environment?  How has the technology environment changed humans.  How do your descendants live, what do they care about, what does it mean to be an artist in the world of 220?

 

            Humans aren’t human anymore, well they are but not physically most people in 2220 are now cyborgs or complete robots with their conscious mind in them to control the body. Everyone sells and upgrades parts whenever the can. Parts and gadgets are always being traded, with new safe drugs also being a part of our communities. Even gambling with parts are a social norm around here. Mostly this is a part of the lower class, however, for they are fighting each day for something more precious than money or popularity, they are fighting for time. Each day the government shuts down an older piece of technology to control the population growth. For you see many of the lower class need these pieces to survive. I am part cyborg and so are some of my family, however we are the upper class due to my status so we don’t always need to fight for our lives. We still need to work and live our prolonged lives, however the struggle is still intertwined in our lives. My family has been growing and growing, even some have passed on, we are still prospering. My job, however, is more in fashion now with cultures flowing into fashions and film costumes have robots creating them. The fashion is more simplistic modern vibe that values monochromatic looks. I still struggle to keep my job due to technology taking over so much, however, I will fight hard to keep it as an artist I put my views of this society into my work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment Week One: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (4points)

Assignment Week Elven: Soulless by Gail Carriger and The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (10 points, 5 each)